Creamy Cheese and Roasted Garlic Truffles
These little balls of creamy-garlicky heaven are one of my favorite cold hors d' oeuvres recipes. Why? Because you don't get much better than creamy cheese truffles with a sweet bite of roasted garlic and a nutty crunch of pecans. Since they're rolled in chopped pecan, they look simple and inoffensive... but hit you with a wonderful burst of flavor.
I often add more garlic than listed here, as I love the stuff, and sometimes some fresh minced herbs. Play around with the mixture to get a flavor you love-- you can even swap the pecans out for crisp-cooked bacon (which I heartily endorse!). And be sure to do it up about a day in advance to allow the flavors to come together before serving (though you can create your truffles and roll them in nuts right before your event.)
Serves 20-40, depending on the size of your truffles.
- 2 packages of cream cheese, 8 ounces each, softened
- 8 oz. Sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 head of roasted garlic, peeled
- 1 dash of red pepper flakes, ground
- 1/4 C. roasted red peppers, finely chopped
- 1/3 C. green onions, finely chopped
- 1 2/3 C. pecans, finely chopped
Directions: 1. Beat shredded cheeses, cream cheese, ground red pepper, and roasted garlic until very well blended. Take the mixture and divide it in half.
2. On one half of the mixture, add roasted peppers and to the other half, green onions. Mix very well until blended.
3. Cover and place in the refrigerator until thoroughly chilled.
4. Take each cheese mixture and shape them into balls about 1 inch. Make 24 balls.
5. Roll each ball into pecans.
6. Cover again and refrigerate again until you are ready to serve. Serve with chips, or crackers, or whatever you fancy.
© 2011 Appetite 4 Appetizers.com - https://www.appetite4appetizers.com