Roast Beef Pinwheels Recipe with
Cream Cheese and Caramelized Onion
In this pinwheel appetizer recipe, the strong flavors of roast beef and horseradish are balanced out by the rich sweetness of caramelized onions. The addition of this one special ingredient really dresses up this otherwise simple appetizer-- your guests will really notice that you went the extra mile for extraordinary flavor.
This is one of my favorite beef and cream cheese pinwheels recipes, because it's flavorful yet fresh. It works just as well for a winter appetizer as for a summer one.
Recipes serves about 12.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 pound of thinly sliced roast beef
1-2 tablespoons prepared Horseradish sauce
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
Cracked pepper and salt, to taste
8 large flour tortillas
Directions: 1. Cut onion in half from tip to root. Slice the onion into thin strips.
2. Heat the oil in a heavy sauté pan over medium heat. Toss the onions and garlic into the pan. They should sizzle but not pop. Stir the onions to coat with oil and stir frequently until onions turn a light brown color.
3. Reduce heat to medium low and continue stirring until the onions are a medium brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
4. In a bowl, blend together Horseradish sauce, cream cheese, salt and pepper.
5. Lay a tortilla flat on a working surface and very lightly cover 2/3 of the surface with a thin layer of the cream cheese mixture. Layer a piece of roast beef and a sprinkling of the caramelized onions on top.
6. Roll tortilla up to form a log. Wrap each tortilla in plastic wrap and let rest in the refrigerator for 2 hours (or longer).
7. Remove plastic wrap from your pinwheel appetizers and slice into bite sized pieces. Serve flat so that the swirl design is visible.
© 2010 Appetite 4 Appetizers.com - https://www.appetite4appetizers.com